What types of questions should I ask the teacher on Meet the Teacher night?
You don’t know what you don’t know. I probably use this phrase too often, but it’s so true!! Here’s a list of questions I’d make sure you had the answers to before the first day of school. Most or even all of this should be addressed during Meet the Teacher but if not, ask away!
- What is the earliest time my child is able to arrive at school? Where will she go at that time?
- At what time is my child marked tardy?
- Is breakfast available? If so, is it in the cafeteria or the classroom?
- When is dismissal? (Sometimes Kindergarten dismisses a few minutes early.)
- How will dismissal run? (where do you meet your child, where will the get on the bus, etc.)
- Who do I contact if there is a change in the way my child will be going home?
- Where can I get a copy of the school calendar with school holidays listed?
- What is the absence policy?
- Are notes required for absences and doctor appointments? If so, do these notes go to the teacher or the office?
- What is the dress code?
- What days will my child go to P.E.?
- When will the class go to library? Will they be able to check out books and bring them home?
- How do I set up a lunch account for my child? How much is lunch?
- What is the best way to reach the teacher during the day? (be sure to get her phone number and email address)
- When is the teacher’s conference period?
- What volunteer opportunities are there? (also find out contact information for PTA representatives)
- Will there be homework and what is the homework policy?